Amber Alert That Located 11-Year-Old’s Alleged Killer Sparks ‘Numerous’ Complaints

Police say the late night alert prompted many Ontarians to call 911.

by Tamara Khandaker
Feb 15 2019, 7:45pm

Photo of Riya Rajkumar supplied by Peel Police.

This article originally appeared on VICE Canada.

After responding to “numerous” complaints from the public when a late-night Amber Alert was sent out about a missing 11-year-old child, who was later found dead, Peel Regional Police are urging people to weigh the results of the alert against the inconvenience it caused them.

The body of Riya Rajkumar was found late last night in a Brampton, Ontario, home after police issued a province-wide Amber Alert that she was missing. She was allegedly abducted by her 41-year-old father Roopesh Rajkumar, who was arrested in Orillia, Ontario, in a “high-risk takedown” after a member of the public saw a car with his license plate, which was listed in the alert, and reported it to police.

Rajkumar allegedly abducted his daughter after taking her out for her birthday on Thursday afternoon. The child didn’t live with her father full-time, and had been dropped off at a gas station so Rajkumar could pick her up, around 3 PM. By 6:30 PM, the pair still wasn’t home, and Riya’s mother contacted police and reported that her father had made comments suggesting that he could harm their daughter and himself, according to police.

“That obviously set off alarms,” Constable Danny Martini told reporters Friday. “It was of extreme concern, which is why she attended the division, saying ‘I’ve got that information and I’m concerned for the well-being of my daughter.’”

“In a tragic situation like this when your daughter goes to spend her birthday, especially on Valentine’s Day, with her father and you expect your child to come home, my heart aches for this family,” Peel Region Constable Akhil Mooken told reporters shortly after the body was found.

“As a parent, I can’t even begin to imagine what the mom is going through and it’s something that we never want to be involved in, but it’s a terrible situation.”

An initial Amber Alert notification—a loud, beeping noise, accompanied by text—was sent to LTE-enabled phones by the Ontario Provincial Police around 11:30 PM. A second notification, ending the alert, was sent just past 12:30 AM. Around 3 AM, Peel’s Twitter account tweeted that their communications bureau was receiving “numerous” 911 calls, complaining about the late hour of the Amber Alert.

“As a direct result of someone receiving the alert, we were able to locate the suspect & his vehicle,” said the police tweet. “The system works.”

Speaking with reporters on Friday, spokesperson Danny Martini, said police were still receiving complaints hours after the initial alerts were issued.

“You know, it’s unfortunate when an Amber Alert goes off in the sense that it disrupts people’s lifestyle,” said Martini. “But at the same point, we’re talking about a child that was missing and, in this case, the child was found deceased,” Martini said. “and I think you have to weigh that out.”

Mooken echoed those sentiments on Twitter.

“I can’t even begin to describe how disappointing and upsetting it is to read the comments, emails, and calls to our communications bureau complaining,” tweeted Mooken. “The immediate need to locate the child outweighed the momentary inconvenience that some people encountered.”

Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily.

Follow Tamara Khandaker on Twitter.