Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
for the dipping sauce:
¼ cup|60 ml soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons honey
1 scallion, thinly sliced
for the fritters:
kosher salt, to taste
1 cup|200 grams brown rice
1 cup|250 ml plus 2 tablespoons|30 ml canola oil
2 cups|140 grams shredded savoy cabbage
7 scallions, thinly sliced
½ cup|80 grams all-purpose flour
½ cup|80 grams roasted, salted cashews, roughly chopped
¼ cup|14 grams finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons|20 grams minced pickled ginger
2 tablespoons|30 ml soy sauce
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup|60 grams panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1. Make the dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, cilantro, honey, and scallion. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Make the fritters: Bring a medium saucepan of generously salted water to a boil. Add the rice and cook until tender, about 30 minutes, then drain. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the cabbage and scallions and cook until slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer to the bowl with the rice along with the flour, cashews, cilantro, ginger, soy sauce, and eggs.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together the panko and sesame seeds. Roll the rice mixture into 10 balls and flatten them slightly into 3-inch circles. Dredge each fritter in the sesame-panko mixture and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Working in batches, fry the fritters, flipping once, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with remaining fritters and serve with the dipping sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here .