for the pasta dough:
1 cup durum wheat flour
4 tablespoons semolina flour
pinch sea salt
2 teasspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 each XL cage-free eggs
for the sauce:
1 ounce olive oil, for cooking
1 tablespoon garlic, thinly shaved
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 each Fresno chile, cut in ½
4 each large basil leaves
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
pinch kosher salt, to taste
Chef's Note: You can substitute dry spaghetti or fresh store-bought noodles if you don't feel like making them at home.
1. First, make the fresh pasta. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, semolina, and salt and pile up in the center and create a well.
2. Add the 1 egg and beat with a fork together with the oil.
3. Using a plastic spatula, stir the egg and slowly incorporate flour.
4. Mix until the dough ball forms; remove from the bowl and place the dough on a clean work surface.
5. Begin to knead the dough into a smooth dough ball, about 10 minutes, and immediately wrap with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.
6. Allow the dough to rest at least 30 minutes before using.
7. Now, make the sauce. In a medium-sized sauté pan, add the olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and fresno chile.
8. Cook over medium heat, stirring the garlic slices to cook them evenly, until golden brown.
9. Add the basil, tomato, and butter and stir. Season with salt.
10. Allow the sauce to cook and melt the butter, and infuse the flavors of all of the ingredients.
11. Cook the spaghetti until al dente (for dried pasta, about 6 minutes, for fresh pasta 3-4 minutes). Strain all of the water and add the pasta to the sauce. Mix well to coat the pasta with sauce.
12. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the pasta to soak in the sauce. Remove from the heat, add the extra virgin olive oil, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir to incorporate and allow the pasta to sit for 1 minute
13. Transfer the pasta and sauce to a large bowl and top with the cooked fresno chiles, more grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and fresh basil leaves.