This story is over 5 years old.


Fans Stuck inside Camden Yards Because of Freddie Gray Protests in Baltimore

Fans were temporarily prevented to leave Camden Yards while protesters and police in riot gear raged outsided.

This announcement on the Camden Yards scoreboard just now. #Orioles #RedSox #FreddieGray protest
— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) April 26, 2015

Generally peaceful protests in Baltimore turned ugly with police in riot gear chasing down crowds of people, protesters destroying storefronts and police cruisers, and, as the New York Times put it, "scattered scenes of chaos." The crowds were protesting the death of Freddie Gray, an unarmed 25-year-old man who died from a spinal cord injury while in police custody last Sunday. Gray was videotaped in obvious pain and screaming, so much so that police had to drag him into a van where he sat for 50 minutes before receiving any medical attention. Protests have gone on since Sunday, but today's was the largest.


#Baltimore. #FreddieGray
— jelani cobb (@jelani9) April 25, 2015

The protest began in West Baltimore and after marching to City Hall, a faction apparently split off and made its way to Camden Yards, destroying things along the way. With cops in riot gear running after the protesters, and protesters destroying property outside the stadium, authorities in Baltimore kept people from leaving Camden Yards.

Here's the video of people smashing cop cars outside Camden Yards. #FreddieGray
— jelani cobb (@jelani9) April 25, 2015

Nobody can leave: Mayor and police ask everyone to stay in ballpark. #FreddieGray
— Michael Silverman (@MikeSilvermanBB) April 26, 2015

Fans are not being allowed out of Camden Yards. #Orioles #RedSox #FreddieGray
— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) April 26, 2015

Fans are asked to remain inside the ballpark until further notice. It's just a bad, bad night for the city #orioles
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) April 26, 2015

Walking around Camden Yards concourse and every gate is closed. #orioles #FreddieGray
— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) April 26, 2015

The game went to extra innings—the Orioles won on a walk-off home run—and fans were eventually allowed to leave, with instructions to avoid specific areas on their way out.

Fans now allowed to leave ballpark. Told safest routes. Avoid Howard St. going North and especially harborplace
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) April 26, 2015