This story is over 5 years old.

After Two Months on the Run, Marissa Shephard Has Been Arrested for 'Extremely Violent' Murder

Marissa Shephard was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for first degree murder and arson, in connection with the death of Baylee Wylie last December in Moncton, New Brunswick.
March 1, 2016, 5:55pm
Photo of Marissa Shephard via Facebook. In the image, she says she is holding a fake gun.

A 20-year-old Canadian woman wanted for murder and on the run for more than two months has been caught — in her hometown.

Marissa Shephard — whose selfies, including one posted on Facebook in which she is brandishing an apparently fake gun, have circulated in the Canadian press for weeks — was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for first degree murder and arson, in connection with the death of Baylee Wylie in Moncton, New Brunswick.


Shephard's family declined to comment "until we know more about what's going on."

The exact details of Wylie's death remain unclear, with the RCMP only confirming that "the murder of Baylee Wylie was extremely violent." The 18 year-old's body was found in a burned-out house in Moncton on December 17.

Shephard and three others were charged with first degree murder, and another teen was charged with being an accessory after the fact. But Shephard and one of the suspects, Tyler Noel, disappeared. A Canada-wide warrant was issued for the pair, and Noel was found less than two weeks later south of Petitcodiac, New Brunswick, a half hour drive from Moncton.

Marissa Shephard arrested, wanted on a Canada wide warrant for first degree murder, arson — CBC New Brunswick (@CBCNB)March 1, 2016

Police say he had been hiding in a cottage that he had broken into.

In an interview in January with Global News, Shephard's father speculated that his daughter died while on the run. "Marissa, you need to give me a call," David Shephard pleaded earlier.

"You need to tell me where I can come and pick you up and we need to have a talk, and I promise you that I will do everything in my power to make sure that you are treated with respect, dignity and justice," he said.

The RCMP warned in a statement that Shephard could be anywhere in the province, or the country. In the end, Shephard was apprehended on Tuesday morning in Moncton, the very city where the manhunt began. She was reportedly arrested on foot, in the company of two other people.

"I knew it in my bones that she was alive and now she's in custody," wrote Angie Wylie, the victim's aunt, on Facebook, shortly after Shephard's arrest.

She is scheduled to make a court appearance Wednesday morning.

Follow VICE News on Twitter: @vicenews