People in South London who the Evening Standard would probably describe as "revellers" can breathe a sigh of relief with the news that the Bussey Building looks safe, for now. The much loved night-spot came under threat in recent weeks from property developers who wanted to build some luxury flats in the building in front of it. The creative director said the plan would effectively "kill" the venue.
The planning application was met with a kind of weary outrage as people assumed that another part of London was destined to become a boring cultural desert inhabited by wealthy people who hate fun. But the mass public outcry seems to have been noticed. A petition against the application reached over 15,000 signatures, and on Friday it was announced that the application had been withdrawn.
Speaking to the Peckham Peculiar, Nick Mansour, co-founder of Frame Property, said: "It is obvious that there is a huge amount of strength and togetherness within Peckham's local community, and we are very glad that we attended the public meeting to witness this first hand. Our intention has never been to push against the interests of the local community. Indeed, we would love to work alongside it, and hopefully help it to develop positively over the coming years. As such, and following careful consideration, we have today instructed Southwark Council that we wish to withdraw the current planning application.
Mansour said that Frame Property would be "developing plans for an entirely non-residential scheme" instead.
A brief statement on the CLF Art Café website says: "It's official folks, the CLF Café/Bussey Building is here to stay. The 133 Rye Lane residential planning application has been withdrawn – To all those who objected, signed the petition, attended the meetings and spread the word - Thank you for your love, help and unflinching support. Together we did this!!!! HAPPIEST OF DAZE :D"