Pablo Escobar's Brother Is Suing Netflix for $1 Billion
"If we don't receive it, we will close their little show," Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria said of 'Narcos.'
Wagner Moura as Pablo Escobar. Photo: Daniel Daza/Netflix
Pablo Escobar's family is threatening Netflix with a copyright claim to the tune of $1 billion against the popular series Narcos, according to documents obtained by the Hollywood Reporter.
Escobar Inc., the company owned by Pablo Escobar's brother Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria, filed a lawsuit last year demanding $1 billion for using the infamous Medellí Cartel founder's name and story without permission. Now, the details of their legal battle have been brought to light in new documents acquired by THR.
Despite telling VICE in 2014 that cartel life was, "all behind me...I do good now," Gaviria took advantage of a Monday THR interview to threaten the company with the full weight of his previous connections.
"I don't want Netflix or any other film production company to film any movies in Medellin or Colombia that relates to me or my brother Pablo without authorization from Escobar Inc.," Gaviria said. "It is very dangerous. Especially without our blessing. This is my country."
When asked about security measures the Netflix crew should take in the wake of the recent shooting and unsolved murder of veteran Narcos location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal, the 71-year-old added, "Netflix should provide hitmen to their people as security."
Muñoz's murder prompted a brief statement from the company, according to Variety, in which it offered condolences to the family and stated that the details of his death are still unknown. His body was reportedly found near the border of Mexico's Hidalgo state in a bullet-riddled car. It's not clear how the violent murder will affect the future of Narcos, but Gaviria made evident to THR the intended consequences if Netflix refuses to cough up the ten-digit sum.
"If we don't receive it, we will close their little show," he said.