Lock Into a Different World With Daniel Avery's DJ-Kicks Mix
You can hear it now ahead of its release on Friday.
Release artwork courtesy of the label
London producer Daniel Avery has shared a stream of his immersive DJ-Kicks mix ahead of its full release on Friday. The 17-track session marks the Phantasy Sound-affiliated artist's second commercial mix, following 2012's Fabriclive 66, and focuses largely on atmospheric strands of desolate techno, ranging in tone from frigid to windingly acidic.
Along with tracks by the likes of Luke Slater's Planetary Assault Systems project, Infrastructure New York producer Post Scriptum, and the Ulwhednar duo aka Abdulla Rashim and Varg, the mix features three new original tracks by Avery himself. Those include "A Mechanical Sky" and "Space Echo," as well as "Look In Your Eyes," produced in collaboration with Volte-Face as Rote.
Avery described his DJing approach to THUMP in an October interview: "As a DJ, it's way more important if I can look out into a crowd several hours into a set and see people with their eyes closed lost in a moment and overwhelmed by the music rather than wild-eyed and pumping fists," he said. "I'm way more interested in that idea of getting locked into a different world for hours and hours."
The release is available to stream via DJ-Kicks' website, and will be out on vinyl, CD, and digital formats November 11.
DJ-Kicks: Daniel Avery tracklist:
1. In Aeternam Vale - Soundscape I
2. Daniel Avery - Sensation (Rrose Remix)
3. Shlømo - Vertigo
4. Planetary Assault Systems - Dungeon
5. Ekserd - Hidden Document II (Svreca Remix)
6. BLNDR - Untitled 3 (Modvs Remix)
7. Ulwhednar - Stortorget
8. Artefakt - The Fifth Planet
9. Post Scriptum - Donbelief
10. JP Enfant - Sirens
11. IORI - Maya // Rote - Look In Your Eyes
12. Lewis Fautzi - Blood
13. Daniel Avery - A Mechanical Sky (DJ-Kicks)
14. Slam - Cirklon Bells (Edit-Select Remix)
15. Daniel Avery - Space Echo
Follow Alexander on Twitter.