Photo via Vine's website
Yesterday, Twitter announced that it would soon be shuttering Vine, the short-form video app it acquired back in 2012. The Internet went into a simultaneous state of shock and mourning; the app still boasts hundreds of millions of active monthly users (Mediakix estimates 200 million) and more than 1.5 billion video loops per day.
Vine offers users but six seconds to create a video, but for electronic music fans, that was more than enough to convey the sweetness, sadness, and madness of a life lived in clubs, festivals, and anywhere else they can turn slave to the beat. As the mobile app winds down to its final weeks (though the website is slated to stay online for the time being), we dug into the archives to find some Vines that capture the angst and ecstasy of being an electronic music fan. But first: a moment (or six) of silence.
1. "when ur friend is trying to sell u on the club, but u just wanna go home & watch anime"
You: (Dead inside)
2. "When you at a rave with just the Bros and you ain't feelin the drop"
3. "When u have no friends and decide to go to a party."
"We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and rave alone." –Hunter S. Thompson, probably
4. "When you're walking to the beat of your music thinking you look all cool
That the video was shot on Vine... on Vine Street... takes this video... wait for it... #onedeeper
5. An untitled Jacques Greene project.
Honestly I've watched this 100 times and I still have no idea what's going on.
6. "when you're at a rave but tired af"
We've all been there.
7. "Everybody is at EDC and i'm here doing nothing"
As Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "There is nothing to fear but FOMO itself."
8. "How car rides with my friends go"
When the new Skrillex track bangs.