Photo by Farideh Sadeghin
Servings: A lot
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
8 large russet potatoes, washed
kosher salt, to taste
for the yogurt dip
1 17.6-ounce container Greek yogurt
¼ cup heavy cream
1 bunch chives, chopped
vegetable oil, for frying
- Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin—you are welcome to do this with a knife, but you will want to kill yourself.
- Soak the potato slices in water, jiggling them around a bit to rid them of their extra starch. Rinse and repeat, changing the water bath once or twice. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Make the dip by mixing the yogurt, heavy cream, chives, and salt (to taste) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Dry the potato slices with paper or dish towel. Heat about an inch of vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Test one chip—it should start rapidly bubbling but not color immediately.
- Fry the chips, about 15 at a time, until they are a toasted brown color. Use a slotted spoon to move them to a paper towel to cool. Sprinkle them with salt and serve with the yogurt dip.