Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 ½ hours
for the blue cheese dipping sauce:
½ cup|150 grams gorgonzola
½ cup|125 grams mayonnaise
½ cup|125 grams sour cream
¼ cup|60 ml buttermilk
a few splashes Cholula® Original Hot Sauce
for the filling:
1 garlic clove, minced
½ serrano chili, stemmed and finely chopped
½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 ¼ pounds|575 grams ‘nudja
2 tablespoons Cholula® Chipotle Hot Sauce
1 (14.5 ounce|405 ml) can crushed tomatoes
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
for the dough:
4 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 ½ cups|454 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Make the dipping sauce: Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and cover. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the filling: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add the chopped vegetables and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the Cholula® Chipotle Hot Sauce and cook 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes. Add 1 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until thick, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the ’nduja and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as you stir, until smooth, about 6 minutes. Add the ‘nudja to the sauce and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and cool completely, then stir in the mozzarella cheese.
- Make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and 1 ½ cups water heated to 115°F. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and salt and mix on medium speed until a smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Divide the dough into 8 equal balls. Cover with plastic wrap and, working with 1 ball of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface, roll the ball into a 6-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place about ½ cup filling in the middle of the circle, then fold the circle over on itself to create a half moon. Using a fork, seal the edges of the pocket. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Using a fork, poke holes in the top of each pizza pocket and brush with the eggs. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.