Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
for the poundcake:
8 tablespoons|113 grams unsalted butter at room temp, plus more for greasing
1 1/2 cups|200 grams pastry flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups|330 grams granulated sugar
3 large eggs and one large egg yolk, at room temperature
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1/4 cup|60 ml heavy cream
1/4 cup|60 grams sour cream
for the whipped sour cream:
1/3 cup|75 ml heavy cream
3 tablespoons|25 grams confectioner's sugar
3/4 cups|170 grams sour cream
1. Grease two 8" cake pans and dust with flour.
2. Beat butter and sugar with paddle attachment in stand mixer at medium-high for about 5 minutes, until fluffy and pale. Add the eggs and yolk, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beating well in between each addition. Add the vanilla bean specks or extract and salt, beat well to disperse.
3. Sift 1/2 cup of flour into the mix and beat well. Scrape down sides of bowl, add heavy cream, and beat well. Sift another 1/2 cup of flour into the bowl and mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl, add sour cream, and beat well. Sift remaining 1/2 cup flour into mix, beat well. Scrape down sides and beat for another 4 minutes or so at medium high. Resulting batter should be smooth and ribbon-like.
4. Divide equally into the two prepared pans. Put the pans in the oven, then turn the heat to 350°F. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean. Cool completely.
5. Make the whipped sour cream: Beat heavy cream and confectioner's sugar on high until fluffy. Add sour cream and beat on medium until consistent in texture.
6. Heat the oven to 400°F. Cut fully cooled pound cake into 1" cubes and toss on a baking sheet. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Arrange the cubes on a plate and drizzle with strawberry sauce and whipped sour cream.