Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
210 grams plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmet
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
a pinch paprika (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
125 grams salted butter, softened
100 grams molasses
100 grams dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
caster sugar, for dredging
1. Preheat the oven to 180° degrees C/160° degrees C (fan)/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Measure all the dry ingredients (except for the brown sugar) into a bowl and whisk well.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy. Add the boiling water, then dry the ingredients, and mix until combined.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or two dessert spoons, scoop up individual portions and shape into balls. Roll in caster sugar, then place on the lined baking tray and flatten them slightly, using the underside of a glass or measuring cup.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the tops crack a little but the cookies are still soft. They will become crisper as they cool. These keep well for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.