Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 25 minutes
for the buns:
1 ⅓ cups|315 ml whole milk
5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
1 large egg
1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
for the filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
for the glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
½ cup|125 ml pure maple syrup
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Make the buns: In a small saucepan, warm the milk gently to 105°F. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the surface and let sit for 5 minutes without stirring. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter and egg. When the milk mixture is foamy and fragrant, whisk in the butter and egg.
- In a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, add the flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add the liquid ingredients. Once the dough fully incorporates, increase speed to medium and continue kneading for 5 minutes until the dough is cohesive and smooth. (If it's still sticky after 5 minutes add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth.)
- Grease a large mixing bowl with butter. Transfer the dough and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 to 1 ½ hours until doubled.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir together butter, sugar, and spices until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Punch down the risen dough and turn in onto a floured surface. Roll the dough into a 12-by-15-inch rectangle with the long side facing you. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, hitting the edges on the short sides and the side closest to you, but leaving a 1-inch border along the top. Start with the side closest to you and roll the dough up to make a cylinder. Pinch the top to seal the seam. Slice the cylinder with a sharp knife to make 12 circular buns.
- Transfer the buns to the baking pan, leaving space between them, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise for 45 minutes until doubled.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake the buns for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating halfway, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir together sugar, maple syrup, butter, and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set a cooling rack on top. Transfer the buns to the rack and drizzle with glaze. Serve immediately.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.