"I like my version because it's easy to make—it has some homemade elements, but those can be left out in a pinch and the dip would still be rad."
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
for the blackened salsa:
4 tomatoes, halved
4 tomatillos, halved
1 jalapeño, halved
2 limes, for zest and juice
1 bunch cilantro, picked (save stems for salsa)
3 teaspoons toasted ground cumin
2 avocados, each peeled, pitted, and diced
olive oil, as needed for consistency
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the dip:
1 (16-ounce|454-gram) can refried beans
1 (3.52-ounce|100-gram) packet Goya Sazón (it's MSG, and it's delicious)
your favorite hot sauce, to taste
1 (15.5-ounce|439-gram) can black beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 scallions, chopped
4 ounces|113 grams iceberg lettuce, shredded
8 ounces|227 grams shredded Colby cheese
4 ounces|113 grams cotija cheese, grated
2 cups sour cream or crema
1 jar your favorite salsa, to taste
1 cup canned pickled jalapenos
1 can sliced black olives
1 bag yellow tortilla chips
1 bag tortilla chips, colored
- In a cast iron pan or plancha, char the cut side of the tomatoes, tomatillos, and jalapeños. When blackened, place into a blender. Add lime juice, cilantro stems, cumin, one of the avocados, and olive oil. Season with salt and purée until smooth. Reserve. Will keep for 5 days in the fridge.
- In a small non-stick pan, heat refried beans. Season with Goya Saison and hot sauce.
- In a separate pan, heat black beans and add 3 tablespoons of the blackened salsa, the garlic, the chili powder, and half of the scallions.
- Now, it's time to assemble the 7-layer dip. In a casserole dish, for the first layer, add the black beans. Next, add some cheese and the iceberg lettuce for the second layer. Next, top with some sour cream for the third layer. Add some jarred salsa for layer 4. Add the refried beans for layer 5. Add more of the charred salsa for layer 6. Last, add more jarred salsa, cheese, olives, cilantro leaves, diced avocado, and/or pickled jalapeños for layer 7.
- Place chips on the side. Mix the colors for Instagram purposes and eat.
Chef's Tip: At any point, add other things you have on hand that you would like to eat with this. If you have anything left over, mix it all together and put it on top.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.