"This is the perfect recipe for someone who doesn't want to mess around with traditional pie crust but still wants to impress with a delicious dessert."
Prep: 2 hours
for the crust:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 ¾ cup AP flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
for the chocolate filling:
1 cup heavy cream
1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate (chips or roughly chopped), plus more for decoration
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipped cream (store bought or homemade—instructions to follow below), plus more for decoration
1. Preheat your oven to 375° degrees F. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, melt your butter in the microwave. Add in your flour, sugar, and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined, finishing with your hands a bit if needed. Press your dough into a 9-inch tin, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned. Set aside to cool.
2. While your pie bakes, make your filling. In a medium-sized pot, bring your heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from the heat and add in your chocolate, and mix until fully melted, being careful to keep mixing so that the chocolate doesn't burn to the bottom.
3. Add in your sugar, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk until fully incorporated. Return the pot to the stove and whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes or so, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
4. To make your own whipped cream, add 1 cup heavy whipping cream to a chilled mixing bowl. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on high for 3-5 minutes, until soft peaks form. You can add as much heavy cream as you want , because making whipped cream is just that, whipping cream.
5. Fold 1 cup of whipped cream into your chocolate mixture. Set the chocolate aside, stirring every so often until your crust has cooled enough, so that the chocolate doesn't form a skin.
6. Once the crust has cooled slightly, pour your chocolate mixture into the shortbread crust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Top with additional whipped cream and chopped chocolate before serving. Be sure to keep this pie chilled for easy slicing.