Prep time: 28 hours
Total time: 1 hour
2 (3-4 pound|1 kilogram 360 gram) chickens, broken down into 10 pieces each (breasts are cut into 2 pieces), backbone discarded
5 cups|1 liter 183 ml strained pickle juice
4 cups|946 ml buttermilk
6 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cayenne
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground mace
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon whole fennel seed
¼ cup kosher salt, plus more
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
16 cups|3 liters 785 ml canola oil
hot sauce, for serving
lemon wedges, for serving
slices of white bread, for serving
- In a large bucket or pot, submerge the chicken pieces in the pickle juice. Refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 3 days.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pickle brine and submerge it in the buttermilk. Refrigerate for another 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour with the spices. Generously season chicken all over with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 4-inches of oil in a large saucepan over medium until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°F|160°C.
- Working in batches, fry the chicken, turning occasionally, until it is cooked through and dark brown, 15 minutes for white meat, 20 minutes for dark meat. Drain on a cooling rack fitted over a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with hot sauce, lemon wedges, and the bread.
From How to Make Matty Matheson's Super-Crispy Fried Chicken
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.