Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
4 3/4 pounds English purple beets, scrubbed clean
8 ounces rock salt
8 ounces goat cheese
2 ounces toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons beet reduction
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. For the beet reduction: We use the previous day's leftover beetroot to make a reduction: Boil the roughly chopped beetroot in double the quantity of water. For 2 1/2 pounds|1.13 kg you'll need 10 cups|2/37 liters water. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 45 minutes. Strain the liquid and reduce further until the liquid is thick and the consistency of a glaze, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 400°F|200°C. Place the beet in a baking dish filled with rock salt. Bake until just tender, about 1 hour, then cool at room temperature.
3. Peel the beet while still warm and break into rough pieces onto serving plates.
4. Crumble the goat cheese over the beets and blow torch until dark brown, melting and caramelized all over. Alternatively, heat the oven to broil and cook the beets until golden and caramelized.
5. In a small bowl, whisk the beet reduction with the vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and stir in the hazelnuts. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the beets before serving.