Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 3 1/2 hours
for the milk bread:
5 cups|725g allpurpose flour
1 ½ cups|350 ml whole milk
⅓ cup|67 grams granulated sugar
8 tablespoons|113 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast (1 (¼-ounce) packet)
2 large eggs
for the goo:
12 tablespoons|170 grams unsalted butter
1 vanilla pod, seed scraped
1 ½ cups|175 grams light brown sugar
¾ cup|116 grams granulated sugar
⅓ cup|30 grams ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, combine the flour, milk, sugar, butter, honey, salt, yeast and eggs. Knead on medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes, or until a smooth dough is formed. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it proof in a warm location until it doubles in volume, about, one hour.
2. Heat the butter and the vanilla in a medium skillet over high until dark golden brown with a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes. Set the brown butter aside to cool.
3. Once the dough has doubled in volume, using a bench scraper or knife, cut it into 4 equal lengths. Working with one strip of dough at a time, cut the dough into cubes and place it in a bowl. Once you have cubed 2 strips of the dough, sprinkle it with half of the cooled brown butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt and toss to coat. Do the same with the remaining dough and sugars, tossing to combine and coat.
4. Grease a bundt pan with some extra brown butter, and layer the dough into it. Cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm location, and allow to proof for another 1 ½ hours.
5. Heat the oven to 350°F. Bake the monkey bread for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.