Braised Chicken Thighs
Simple and delicious, this will be your new favorite way to prepare chicken.
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 1 hour 30 minutes
5 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups white wine (any household white)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 bulbs of garlic, halved
1 bunch thyme
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
1. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1 ½ cups|350 ml canola oil, 1 cup|250 ml white wine, salt, and pepper until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerator for at least 25 minutes and up to 24 hours.
2. Heat the oven to 350°F|175°C.
3. Heat the remaining canola oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the chicken and cook, turning as needed, until golden and the skin is crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the garlic, thyme, carrot, and onions and cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Take the remaining marinade and pour it directly into the hot pan and bring up to a low simmer. Add the remaining wine to the simmering vegetable mix and let it cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Add the chicken back to the pot and cover. Bake for 35 minutes, remove the lid, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden on top. Serve with kale salad with berry dressing.