Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
for the crust:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
8 tablespoons salted butter
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
for the filling:
1 pound ground cherries, husked
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
for the crumb:
1 cup all purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/8 cup light brown sugar
pinch o' kosher salt
1. Make the crust: In a stand mixer or food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse until pea-sized crumbles form. Gradually add ice water and quickly turn off the machine once the mixture comes together. Gather the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rest for one hour in the refrigerator.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 14-inch circle and fit into a 10-inch pie plate. Crimp the edges and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Make the filling: Toss the ground cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl until evenly coated and set aside.
4. Make the crumb: In a large bowl and using your fingers, mix the flour, butter, sugars and salt until pea-sized crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Assemble and bake the pie: Place the filling in the pie crust and top with the crumble. Chill for an hour.
6. Heat the oven to 350°F. Bake the pie for 45 minutes, or until crust is brown and filling bubbly. Serve warm.